As backward as it sounds, creamy soups don't require any cream. This bright green dish uses potatoes to create a velvety texture. And with each slurp, you're fighting cancer and cardiovascular disease thanks to the broccoli [wysiwyg:citation:%3Ca+href%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F23964055%22%3EA+diet+rich+in+high-glucoraphanin+broccoli+interacts+with+genotype+to+reduce+discordance+in+plasma+metabolite+profiles+by+modulating+mitochondrial+function%3C%2Fa%3E.+Armah+C.N.%2C+Traka+M.H.%2C+Dainty+J.R.%2C+et+al.+American+Journal+of+Clinical+Nutrition%2C+2013+Sep%3B98%283%29%3A712-22.]. Mom would be proud.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium white potatoes, diced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add vegetable broth, potatoes, and broccoli. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot and stir in thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with cheddar cheese, if desired.