Have you ever massaged your salad? Now’s the time to try it! Since raw kale is tougher and heartier than lettuce and spinach, massaging it with a little olive oil will do wonders to turn this superfood into a winning salad. Before adding the other ingredients to the bowl, drizzle just a little bit of olive oil over the greens and dive in with your hands. Rub it all together to break down the leaves a bit, making them more tender. For a truly winning combination, add some grapefruit segments and creamy avocado slices on top.
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups shredded kale leaves
- 1pink grapefruit, sectioned
- 1avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- Make vinaigrette: Combine grapefruit juice, orange juice, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes, then slowly whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- Place kale in a large bowl and drizzle with a small amount vinaigrette or olive oil. Massage kale for a few minutes, until leaves begin to break down a bit and become more tender.
- Arrange kale on each plate. Top with grapefruit and avocado. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and drizzle with vinaigrette.