Green beans are grossly underestimated. When cooked, they have a tender, juicy skin revealing a few peas in each bite. Their decidedly earthy yet subtle flavor is nothing to shun while at the supermarket. This recipe is so easy to put together and it capitalizes on the texture and taste of the bean itself by keeping the ingredient list short.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1large white onion, diced
- 2long sweet green or banana peppers, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed and halved
- 2tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a medium pan over medium heat, cook onions and pepper in olive oil. Season with salt.
- Add beans and mix. Add tomatoes, stirring to combine. Cover, reduce heat to low, and let vegetables simmer for 30 minutes, or until green beans become very soft and tender.
- Squeeze lemon juice into mixture and sprinkle with red pepper flakes.