Made with protein-rich garbanzo beans and vitamin C-filled red peppers, these burgers that taste like hummus will fuel your body. Serve topped with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and any of your favorite burger condiments. We also like to spread a thin layer of pesto on the buns for even more flavor.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2/3 cup chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup diced onions
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1large roasted red pepper, patted dry and minced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse garlic, chickpeas, parsley, onions, cumin, chili powder, salt, and lemon juice into a coarse mixture (chickpeas should be broken into bits about the size of quinoa), working in batches if necessary. Transfer mixture into a large bowl.
- Grind chia seeds in a coffee grinder. Pour into a small bowl and add water. Stir, then set aside for about 2 minutes until gelatinous.
- Add chia mixture and all remaining ingredients to chickpea mixture. Stir well to combine, then use hands to form four patties.
- Transfer patties to prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes per side. When finished, they should be crispy on the outside but still moist in the middle. Serve as desired.