Roasting vegetables whole allows the natural sugars to concentrate for an explosion of flavors. Serve these carrots as antipasti, as a side to a larger meal, or tossed into a simple salad.
- 1 bunch skinny carrots, tops removed, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspooons salt
- <strong>For pesto:</strong>
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2large kale leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Coat carrots with oil and salt. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes until well charred and easily pierced by a knife.
- While carrots are roasting, make pesto by placing all ingredients except olive oil into a small mini chopper or blender. Grind on medium speed until coarse, then slowly pour in olive oil to emulsify into grainy pesto. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- When carrots are cooked, remove from oven and cut in half lengthwise and crosswise. Dress with pesto to serve.
Recipe shared exclusive with Greatist by Dig Inn.