Pasta is one of the most comforting dishes out there, but it can also be one of the heaviest. Replacing meat with mushrooms makes this recipe a bit lighter but still as comforting. The mushrooms are cooked with a bit of butter, red peppers, and herbs to create a deep, rich flavor.
- 1package (12 ounces)noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2large portobello mushrooms, cut into strips
- 4white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1red bell pepper, sliced
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground basil
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare noodles according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add butter, mushrooms, red pepper, onions, and garlic. Sauté until tender.
- Add vegetable stock and let boil for a few minutes. Add oregano, basil, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Turn down the heat slightly, and let simmer until sauce begins to thinken, about 5 minutes.
- Once noodles are cooked, drain and rinse them. Lay on a serving platter and top with mushroom sauce. Garnish with parsley, if desired.