Fluffy stacks of flapjacks belong in everyone’s cooking repertoire. But they can be tough to adjust for every diet (vegan, gluten-free, etc.) Luckily for paleo eaters, these grain-free, dairy-free pancakes fit the bill! And everyone else will enjoy them, too, thanks to the delicious mix of nutty coconut and sweet pumpkin. Psst: They’re also good for you, with hunger-curbing healthy fats, antioxidants, and fiber, which keeps blood sugar stable (read: no mid-morning crash).
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, plus extra for cooking
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- In a medium bowl, beat egg until fluffy.
- Add coconut milk, pumpkin, agave, and coconut oil, and whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix almond flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and coconut flour.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk vigorously until there are no lumps and batter is smooth. (Batter should be thick and fluffy but moist. Add more coconut milk in small increments if it’s too dry.)
- Heat a pan or griddle over medium to high heat and grease with coconut oil. Pour in batter 1/3 cup at a time and cook for 4 to 7 minutes or until crispy and golden. Flip and cook another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of choice, such as fruit, nut or coconut butter, or maple syrup.