This one-pot wonder is perfect for all those vegetables you bought but forgot about—and for those busy nights when you want easy cooking and cleanup! Nearly any mix of produce works, as long as they are sliced into similar-sized pieces. Mix it up for different nutrients; the combination in this recipe, for example, provides vitamins C and K, folate, fiber, and potassium.
- 1medium zucchini, thinly sliced into half rounds
- 1medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2bell peppers (any color), thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large headbroccoli, cut into small florets
- 12 ounces fettuccini pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 1/2 cups water
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients except Parmesan and oil in a large soup pot, adding basil, salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 9 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Saving 1/2 cup pasta water, drain pot.
- Add pasta and vegetables back to the pot with reserved 1/2 cup pasta water and stir. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. Add Parmesan, if desired, and drizzle with olive oil.