This recipe is great for vegetarians because it provides a meaty texture and bite without the, well, meat. Spiced with smoky, invigorating cumin and complemented with the savory overtones of soy sauce, the mushrooms in this dish taste out of this world. The warm pita bread and cheese finish put the icing on the cake.
- 2 6-inch pita rounds, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, halved
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 large long sweet green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 ounces grated cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Tightly wrap pita in foil and warm in oven until ready to fill them.
- Pour olive oil into a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, scallions, and pepper, and sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Pour in soy sauce and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until any liquid veggie mixture gives off has evaporated and mushrooms turn golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Remove pan from heat.
- Remove pita from oven and allow to cool enough to handle. Distribute cheese evenly among pita halves. Top evenly with mushroom mixture.