Soup is a perfect way to eat healthy. It’s quick to make, comforting to eat, and you can pack it full of veggies. This mushroom and farro version satisfies all of the above, plus it’s hearty enough to keep you full. Don’t have farro? Substitute any other whole grain (barley, rice, or wheat berries would work well) and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1small onion, diced
- 1 container (8 ounces) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup farro
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- Black pepper
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are brown and have released some liquid, and onions are beginning to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add parsley and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in farro and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until farro is tender, adding more water if too much broth evaporates.
- Stir in sherry and season with black pepper.