Don’t let the list of ingredients in this party-in-your-mouth chili scare you: You likely have a lot of the spices on hand, and all of the vegetables are cheap ones. Plus, it’s insanely easy to make; most of the cooking time is letting everything simmer on the stove while you go do better things. Because why should making a flavorful meal require spending all night in the kitchen?
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped potato
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1lemon, juiced
- Cooked rice (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, potato, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, paprika, turmeric, black pepper, salt, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper.
- Add water, tomato paste, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. If desired, serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.