Pancake mix from a box may be easy—but it can be filled with hydrogenated oils and a third of your day's sodium. This recipe is just as simple and only requires mixing everything in a bowl and cooking (same thing as a mix!). To enhance the flavors of the coconut, cocoa, and coffee, top these cakes with coconut flakes, dark chocolate chips, or cinnamon.
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 egg whites
- Cooking spray
- Toppings, as desired
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites in a large bowl.
- Taste batter to ensure there is a slight sweetness. Add more sweetener if needed.
- Add egg whites and stir together with a whisk.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and grease with cooking spray.
- Pour batter into skillet, making 2 to 3 pancakes at a time. Flip each pancake when bottom is slightly browned or bubbles have risen in the batter. Remove pancakes from skillet and serve with desired toppings.