This sweet and spicy dinner is easy to keep on the lighter side. The marmalade topping takes the edge off the blackened, Cajun-style chicken, and it’s easy to pull everything together by serving over a bed of rice and vegetables. The best part?With well under 20 minutes of active prep time, you’ll have time to shower and set your fantasy football lineup before that soon-to-be-special someone arrives.
- <strong>For blackening seasoning:</strong>
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- <strong>For chicken</strong>
- 2 1/2 cups yellow or brown rice
- 4skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- Combine all seasoning ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, coat chicken in a liberal dose of blackening seasoning. Sear chicken for 1 minute on each side until nicely blackened and crisp. Transfer to a nonstick baking dish (or oven-safe pan) and bake for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness of meat), or until juices run clear.
- Heat frozen vegetables in the oven or microwave. Mix with cooked rice and divide among four plates.
- Plate 1 chicken breast over rice mixture, and add 1 dollop marmalade on top of each.