This sweet and spicy dinner is easy to keep on the lighter side. The marmalade topping takes the edge off the blackened, Cajun-style chicken, and it’s easy to pull everything together by serving over a bed of rice and vegetables. The best part? With well under 20 minutes of active prep time, you’ll have time to shower and set your fantasy football lineup before that soon-to-be-special someone arrives.
- For blackening seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- For chicken
- 2 1/2 cups yellow or brown rice
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- Combine all seasoning ingredients. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, coat chicken in a liberal dose of blackening seasoning. Sear chicken for 1 minute on each side until nicely blackened and crisp. Transfer to a nonstick baking dish (or oven-safe pan) and bake for 5 to 10 minutes (depending on thickness of meat), or until juices run clear.
- Heat frozen vegetables in the oven or microwave. Mix with cooked rice and divide among four plates.
- Plate 1 chicken breast over rice mixture, and add 1 dollop marmalade on top of each.