This isn’t just another boring kale salad. Massaging your greens may sound a little weird, but don’t skip out on rubbing the kale with the lemon juice and sea salt. It helps break down the fibers of the leaves so it becomes tender, less bitter, and more enjoyable to eat raw. If you have time, roast the squash for more flavor.
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- Sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2yellow onion, super thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale, de-stemmed and shredded
- 1lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- Bring a large pot of 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil.
- Place butternut squash in steamer basket and sprinkle with sea salt. Place basket in the pot and cover with lid. Allow to steam for about 7 to 10 minutes, until it can be pierced with a fork.
- While squash cooks, mash garlic with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and black pepper using the back of a spoon. Place in a mason jar with olive oil, vinegar, and onion. Shake to combine and let sit until butternut squash cubes are finished steaming.
- Meanwhile, place kale in a bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and a little sea salt, and massage with clean hands. Add cranberries and set aside.
- Once squash is done, let cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Add squash to kale. Pour dressing over salad give it a good stir. Enjoy immediately or let sit for a bit to marinate before serving