Take advantage of summer grilling get-togethers by using the awesome cooking tool for almost every meal—even the ones that traditionally don’t require it. Because who knew you can grill lasagna? We didn’t, but trust us: It’s worth a try. This recipe is wheat-free, and instead of pasta boasts of nutrient-rich zucchini, caramelized onions, and peppers. (You won’t miss the noodles, trust us!)
- 2-3large zucchini, sliced length-wise 3/8-inch thick
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1large onion, thinly sliced
- 1red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 16 ounces thick marinara sauce, heated, divided
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1scallion, chopped
- Brush both sides of zucchini slices with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, onions, and red pepper. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and salt, pepper and paprika to taste, and cook until soft. Set aside.
- Place some grilled zucchini slices in a 9-by-12-inch dish so there is no space between them and they cover the bottom of the dish.
- Pour 8 ounces marinara sauce over zucchini and distribute evenly. Spread onion mixture atop marinara. Sprinkle evenly with 4 ounces cheese.
- Add another layer of zucchini slices. Top with remaining marinara and then remaining cheese. Garnish with parsley and scallions.
- Serve at room temp or heat in a 375-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.