Red quinoa is just as good as its beige counterpart, but a bit more fun in color! I like to mix it with fresh vegetables and a simple vinaigrette. This recipe makes for a perfect lunch or side dish because it is packed with crunchy raw vegetables and is packed with protein and fiber to keep you full. Quinoa has about 9 grams of protein per cup and is considered a "complete" protein, because it contains all the essential amino acids. Quinoa will also give you a dose of iron, folate and calcium. The best thing about this recipe is that it is wide open for change — replace the vegetables with your personal favorites. Enjoy!
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 scallions
- 1 small red onion
- 1-inch nob ginger, peeled
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is gone.
- While the quinoa cooks, dice the scallions, red onion, red bell pepper, ginger, avocado, and cucumber into small, uniformly-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the quinoa is finished, transfer to a large bowl.
- Fold the veggies, avocado, and vinaigrette into the quinoa while its still warm. The warmth will help release flavors from the veggies and create an amazing aroma.
- Serve and enjoy!