This is no typical lasagna. However, it does resemble the old-school comfort dish thanks to chunky marinara, crispy zucchini as the noodles, and oregano and basil, those classic Italiani flavors. And since it serves one, it's perfect for a night at home when you want something a little special for yourself.
- 1 large zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick diagonally
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss zucchini, corn flour, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil until all surfaces of zucchini are covered.
- Grease a foil-lined baking sheet with olive oil, and arrange zucchini slices in a single layer. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until zucchini is tender and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and salt and pepper to taste, and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes break down in both texture and size, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble, alternate rough layers of tomato mixture and zucchini (two layers of each is probably good). Serve drizzled with olive oil and garnish with basil.