When a restaurant menu item has the word “crispy” in its name, it often means it was deep-fried in oil, a cooking method that tends to ramp up the not-so-healthy fat content of your food. But that’s not always the case. With this simple recipe, you can get that crispy texture that lends itself so nicely to fish without ever dropping your protein into oil.
- 1/2 cup whole-grain cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons egg whites
- 2 fillets (about 5 ounces each) tilapia (or other white mild fish)
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, pulse cracker crumbs, seasoning, parsley, and basil until incorporated. Stir in hemp seeds, then dump mixture onto a plate.
- Place egg whites in a shallow bowl next to plate.
- One at a time, dip fish fillets into egg whites. Immediately transfer to crumbs and coat evenly on both sides. Place fish on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Serve with with lemon wedges to squeeze over top.