Take a break from baking, roasting, or mashing sweet potatoes, and cook them up into this luxurious, cream-free “creamy” soup. This recipe can easily be doubled (or even tripled for a big crowd), and it’s sure to be a hit.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1small onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3-4sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and shallot, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes, until fragrant.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, stock, cinnamon, and paprika. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. (Sweet potatoes should be very tender.)
- Using a blender, stick blender, or food processor, purée mixture (in batches, if necessary). Return mixture to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.