This delicious treat is so beautiful that people will think you spent hours creating it, but it only takes minutes to mix up and can be stored in the freezer for weeks. Not only does it make an impressive gift (tint it green for the holidays, or omit those ingredients for other times of the year), it’s also healthy, with antioxidants from cocoa powder and fiber from coconut, fruit, and nuts.
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid chlorophyll (optional)
- 1 teaspoon spirulina (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried berries or chopped fruit
- 2 tablespoons seeds or chopped nuts
- Melt coconut butter and coconut oil in a double-boiler. (Tip: You can make your own double-boiler by placing a heat-proof bowl over another pot of simmering water without letting the base of the bowl touch the water.)
- Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in cocoa powder and honey. Add chlorophyll and spirulina, if using, to color bark green.
- Pour mixture onto a parchment-lined baking tray and let it spread to cover the surface evenly. Sprinkle coconut flakes, dried fruit, and seeds or nuts on top as desired. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Once cacao bark is firm, break it into pieces. Store in air-tight containers in the freezer.