Even though we’re heading into summer, I like to think of ways to add a seasonal touch to vegetables we’ve come to enjoy over the colder months. Adding a cooling and refreshing yogurt dressing to these crispy root veggies is the perfect way to welcome the sun. With the final addition of dry-roasted pine nuts, there’s no question that you’ve taken this salad to the next level.
- 5carrots, roughly chopped
- 4beets, peeled and cut into eighths
- 3thyme sprigs
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1/2 cup whole-fat Greek yogurt
- 3mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread carrots and beets evenly on a roasting pan. Tuck thyme sprigs among them. Sprinkle with salt, drizzle with oil, and toss vegetables with your hands to coat.
- Place in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until veggies are easily pierced with a knife.
- Bring a small frying pan to medium-high heat and dry-roast (without oil) pine nuts for 2 minutes until golden.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mint, and lemon juice.
- Arrange roasted veggies out on a platter or cutting board and liberally dollop with yogurt sauce. Top with pine nuts.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Dude Food: A Guy’s Guide to Cooking Kick-Ass Food (Simon & Schuster) by Daniel Churchill.