Once in a while, everyone needs a little cake in their lives. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the chocolate-based, sugar-filled kind. These little patties are packed with flavor from the fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, are fun to make, and make the perfect portable lunch or dinner for a springtime picnic. Plus, the egg and quinoa base is a great source of protein, and the mild flavor makes them easy to eat as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 4eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1small white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine quinoa, eggs, and salt in a medium bowl. Add basil, cheese, garlic, and onion, and stir until evenly mixed.
- Add bread crumbs and let stand so crumbs absorb some moisture. The mixture should be easily formed into balls without falling apart. If needed, add a couple more tablespoons breadcrumbs and let stand a few minutes more.
- Heat olive oil to coat the bottom of a frying pan over medium heat. Form mixture into patties (about 1/4 cup each and 1/2-inch thick) and cook in batches, about 10 minutes per side or until browned and crispy.
- Place cooked patties on a thin layer of paper towel to drain excess oil before serving.