These breakfast treats keep things on the light side, with no processed sugar or white flour, and significantly less fat. The soft, walnut-studded rings are made with whole-wheat flour and baked to perfection—yet they still have the great banana bread flavors we all know and love.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cupagave syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly coat a doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside. (Note: If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can either make these in muffins or pour batter into a bundt pan for one giant doughnut.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut oil, bananas, agave syrup, yogurt, egg, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into a resealable plastic bag (or a pastry bag). Cut off one corner of the bag, and squeeze batter into prepared doughnut pan, making sure each indentation is about 3/4 full. Top with walnuts pieces, and lightly press them into batter.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until doughnuts are golden and spring back when touched. Remove from oven and cool in pan for a few minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack and cool fully. (Note: Baking time will vary if using a different type of pan.)