This fresh take on pesto makes a creamy vegan sandwich spread that you can make in minutes. The asparagus provides a mildly earthy, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with crisp, peppery radishes. Eat it for lunch, a light dinner, a convenient breakfast—really any time of day!
- 1 large bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoonextra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 scant cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 scant teaspoon salt
- 8 slices crusty, whole-grain bread, toasted
- 6radishes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place asparagus in an even layer on sheet, and lightly toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until asparagus is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add pine nuts and toast until golden, stirring regularly. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place asparagus and garlic in a food processor. Add nuts, nutritional yeast, chili pepper, and salt. With food processor on, slowly drizzle in remaining 1/3 cup olive oil until ingredients are well combined and pesto is smooth.
- Spread pesto generously over toasted bread. Top with radishes and sprinkle with additional pine nuts.