My treats recipe calls for half a cup of sweetened condensed milk, but I’ve made some additional tweaks, like an extra cup of mini marshmallows for folding in at the last minute (because aren’t we all in it for the intense pockets of goo—or is that just me?), a generous teaspoon of fine sea salt, plus some of the flaky variety for sprinkling, and a tablespoon of vanilla (the vanilla works wonders with the melted, buttery marshmallows). In short, sweetened condensed milk, some extra marshmallows, salt, and vanilla is all that stands between you and the Rice Krispie treats of your dreams.
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- One 10-oz bag mini marshmallows, plus one cup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Flaky sea salt, optional
- Grease an 8×8×2-inch pan with cooking spray or softened butter.
- Place the butter in a large pot on the stove and melt it over medium heat. Add the sweetened condensed milk and stir with a rubber spatula, for about two minutes, until the butter and condensed milk are uniformly combined (when you first begin stirring they will look separated), and small bubbles are forming in the center of the mixture.
- Add the bag of marshmallows and stir until melted and smooth Add the vanilla and salt and stir again.
- Off the heat, add the Rice Krispies and the remaining cup of marshies and stir to combine. # Transfer to the prepared pan and press down lightly with a sheet of plastic wrap (you do not want to pack the Krispie treats down or they will lose their inherently soft and gooey texture). # Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if using.
- Let set up on the counter for at least an hour. Cut into 16 slices and serve. Leftovers (there won’t be any) can be placed in an air-tight container on the counter for up to 3 days.