Food writer and cooking teacher Nadine Abensur introduced us to this superpunchy pestolike sauce from North Africa in her book The Cranks Bible: A Timeless Collection of Vegetarian Recipes. Chermoula is delicious with grilled fish and grilled or steamed vegetables, a secret flavor weapon for making healthy stuff taste great.
Game plan: Chermoula is best right out of the food processor, but it will keep for up to 1 week in the fridge.
- Yield: About 1 1/2 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 10 mins
- Active: 10 mins 0 Ratings
- 1 bunch (about 3 1/2 ounces) Italian parsley, including stems
- 1 bunch (about 3 1/2 ounces) cilantro, including stems
- 6 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled but whole
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine everything in a food processor and process for 30 seconds on high.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, then process for 30 seconds more. Serve at once, or cover tightly and store in the fridge.