These classic mashed potatoes combine Yukon Golds with cream and lots of butter. Perfect for Thanksgiving—and any time you’re craving comfort food.
Game plan: Don’t add cold butter and cream to your potatoes, or you’ll end up with cold mashers. Both ingredients should be at room temperature (at least) or warmed up (even better) prior to being added.
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 45 mins
- Active: 15 mins
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet Burbank potatoes
- 2 3/4 sticks (11 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Peel potatoes, cut them into large pieces (about 2-inch cubes), and place them in a large pot with heavily salted water and bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat.
- While potatoes are cooking, cut butter into small cubes and set aside.
- When potatoes are fork tender, drain well and return to pot; let sit for 5 minutes to dry out. Transfer potatoes to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. With the mixer on low, add butter and cream until potatoes are smooth. Stir in scallions, if using, and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.