- Yield: Enough for eight
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 Hour
- Active: 30 Minutes
- 5 pounds baby red potatoes
- 32 oz. sauerkraut – bag, jar or fresh
- 1 stick butter
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 cup steamed green beans (optional)
This is a Minnesota Hotdish embellished for a more discerning palate. It’s not low calorie, but very delicious for a big crowd.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. When they are cool enough to handle, smash them with a potato masher.
- Drain the sauerkraut well and meanwhile saute the garlic in melted butter. When the garlic releases its fragrance, add the sauerkraut and saute for a few minutes.
- Mix the sauerkraut with the potatoes in a big bowl. Use a food processor to chop the jalapeno and mozzarella. Mix everything together. Pour it all into an oiled baking pan. Sprinkle the parmesan on top and decorate with green beans. Bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees.