Digestifs are boozy after-dinner drinks said to tame the effects of a rich, heavy meal. They’re ridiculously easy to make: Just add citrus peels or herbs to grain alcohol and steep, then strain and mix with simple syrup. Digestifs keep forever (we store ours in the freezer so they’re pre-chilled), ready whenever you want a nightcap or a cocktail mixer. This recipe relies on the peel from pomelos to create a wonderfully aromatic liqueur. And if you’re up for expanding your citrus digestif collection, try your hand at our lemon, Meyer lemon, orange, and blood orange digestifs.
What to buy: Grain alcohol is purer than vodka, so it picks up the flavoring elements faster. We use Everclear 151.
- Yields: 3 1/3 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 20 mins, plus 6 days steeping time
- Active: 20 mins
- 3 medium pomelos
- 2 cups grain alcohol, such as Everclear 151
- 1 1/2 cups Rich Simple Syrup
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel in wide strips from the pomelos, making sure to avoid the white pith.
- Place the peels in a 1-quart glass jar with a tightfitting lid, add the alcohol, cover, and let steep at room temperature, undisturbed, for 6 days.
- After 6 days, remove the peels and add the simple syrup. Stir to combine. Store in the freezer.