An easy way to keep the acid ingredient needed for so many dishes.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Large, green, healthy and soft-skinned lemons,
- Wash the lemons and peel the rinds being very careful to cut only the outer skin, the green part. The white is very bitter and will spoil the preparation.
- The peelings will come out in strips, then cut these strips about half inch long.
- Put the strips in a jar, squeeze the juice from the peeled lemons and add enough juice to cover the peels completely. Add 3 teaspoons of salt to each jar and close the jars tightly.
- Keep the jar(s) in a cool place for two or three days adding more lemon juice as the peels absorb the juice.
- Keep in the refrigerator and use for salads, meats, sandwiches or in whichever recipe that requires lemon and salt. They will last for several months unspoiled.