So you’re trying this whole Paleo diet for the first time. The last thing you need is to step foot into the grocery store with no clue what to buy. If frustration kicks in, so will the bread aisle. Then your (grocery cart) wheels spin off. Stay calm and prepared by taking this Paleo shopping list with you the next time you head to the store. It’s not everything on the Paleo-approved list, but it’s the perfect start to this high-protein, low-carb, no-junk-food way of eating.
In partnership with Applegate
You’re gonna eat *lots* of protein.
- Chicken. A Paleo-er’s BFF.
- Eggs. So. Many. Eggs.
- Fish. All seafood, really.
- Pork. Just wait until you try Paleo pulled pork.
- Red meat. Especially Applegate Organics® The Great Organic Beef Hot Dog.
- Turkey. Not to be confused with turkey sandwiches.
- Chicken sausage. A breakfast necessity.
Buy the ones you’re actually going to eat (wilted greens are the worst).
- Acorn squash. Best enjoyed with a drizzle of honey.
- Bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts. News flash: They go great with bacon.
- Butternut squash
- Cabbage. Don’t knock it ’til you try it.
- Leafy greens
- Spaghetti squash
- Sweet potatoes. Swoodles, anyone?
- Zucchini. And zoodles, duh.
We like to think of these as nature’s desserts.
- Avocados. Stock up.
- Dates. Add a little almond butter for a sweet treat.
- Grapes. Freeze them for a post-dinner snack.
Nuts (and seeds) make the best 3 p.m. snack.
- Brazil nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sunflower seeds
Wine isn’t on the list, but if you ask us, it’s not *totally* off-limits.
- Coconut water
- Club soda
- ​Sparkling water
What would this world be without nut butters and coconut?
- Almond butter
- Coconut milk
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
A few staples that add some flavor.
- Coconut aminos. Tastes like soy sauce.
- Hot sauce. Makes everything better.
- Maple syrup. For Paleo pancakes.