This drink was created by the team at Communal Table (communaltable.wordpress.com) for the February menu on Kitchen Play (www.kitchen-play.com). The combination of tequila, tamarind, ginger-lime syrup and the secret menu ingredient – beef stock – makes for a unique drink experience.
- Yields: 1 cocktail
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 10 minutes
- 1 oz tequila
- 1 oz pure beef stock (beef and bones; no added salt or spices)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- Make ginger-lime syrup by bringing lime juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add sugar and ginger, and lower heat. Simmer and stir for 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves and ginger infuses syrup. Let cool. Makes about 2/3 cup of syrup.
- Thin tamarind paste for use in cocktail by putting it into a bowl and whisking in about a tablespoon of warm water, a little bit at a time until you get a smooth, thin, syrupy consistency. Set aside.
- To make cocktail, place 3 or 4 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Add tequila, beef stock, ginger-lime simple syrup and 1/2 oz of the thinned out tamarind paste. Shake well. Pour into a highball or margarita glass and garnish with beef jerky and a slice of fresh lime.