A church picnic or family reunion wouldn’t be complete without this Americana classic. Don’t overcook the pasta—keeping it al dente gives a simple macaroni charm and prevents the dressing from being absorbed. Whipping up your own mayo makes it even more delicious.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 55 mins
- Active: 25 mins
- 1 pound macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse well under cold water; drain again and transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion to the pasta. In a bowl, whisk together the mayo, vinegar, mustard, sugar, and pepper to taste. Pour over the pasta and toss and stir until well coated. Serve right away at room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 1 day in advance.