This creamy, savoury delight has been my family’s all-time favourite comfort food for almost 30 years. My mom used to serve it on Hallowe’en night before we went trick-or-treating, because she knew we’d eat it all up even though there was candy coming later… Now it’s a staple of my kitchen too!
- Yield: 2-4 servings, depending on hunger level
- Total: 35-40 minutes
- Active: 10 minutes
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 300 g old cheddar (the sharper the better)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or “whipped dressing”
- 3/4 cup milk
- 250 g sliced bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, grate cheddar into a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and milk to cheddar and stir.
- Microwave cheese mixture on 80% for 1 minute, then stir. Repeat this step until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth and creamy.
- When macaroni is cooked, drain it and add it to the cheese sauce.
- Pour macaroni and cheese into a casserole dish. Lay strips of bacon over top.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked the way you like it.