Maxime Bilet, coauthor of Modernist Cuisine and the brand-new Modernist Cuisine at Home,* shared this easy, fun way to give chocolate a popping effect. Just melt your favorite type of chocolate with some butter, then mix in crushed puffed-rice cereal and some Pop Rocks—any flavor you like! Once it cools, break it up and surprise kids or adults with this novel treat.
What to buy: You can purchase large quantities of unflavored Pop Rocks–style candy online and at some specialty markets.
Click here to watch Maxime demonstrate this recipe in an episode of our CHOW Tips video series.
- Yield: 12 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr 10 mins
- 10 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 cup Pop Rocks–style candy (unflavored, or pick your favorite flavor)
- 1/2 cup puffed rice cereal, crushed
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or waxed paper; set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until just melted and smooth.
- Fold the Pop Rocks and cereal into the chocolate mixture until evenly combined. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Let sit at room temperature until set, about 1 to 2 hours. Break into pieces and serve.