My husband and I wanted to create a recipe for a savory cupcake. Our challenge: when people think of Charleston (SC) what comes to mind? We decided we would recreate what seems to be Charleston’s most famous and often sought after dish, Shrimp and Grits, into the form of a savory cupcake. These savory cakes placed first in their class at a local charity cupcake event. They will make a great addition to your brunch table or special event and are best served warm.
The dough will be very sticky even after all ingredients are combined. This is normal and will produce a moist (not gooey) muffin.
- Yields: 12
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 30 minutes
- Active: 15 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup stone ground grits, prepared per package instructions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 8 oz cream cheese, whipped
- 6 oz Tasso Ham
- 12 grilled or roasted shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the muffin: Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs, melted butter, shredded cheese, and scallions until just combined. Drop by spoonfuls into lightly greased muffin pans. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- For the topping: Grind tasso ham in a food processor until finely chopped. Cream together the cream cheese and the ham until fluffy. Put a dollop of tasso ham mousse on top of each cupcake and top with one roasted shrimp.