Every Monday on our Instagram stories, we share a super-easy, seven-ingredient-or-less recipe. Follow us for a new episode of Monday Munchies each week!
There's nothing more comforting and satisfying than a grilled cheese. The simplicity of the cheese and the bread working in harmony to create a flavor explosion in your mouth is one of life's greatest pleasures. All praise the grilled cheese.
Buutttt that said, the classic grilled cheese can sometimes feel a little boring (we know, gasp!) when you're craving a more sophisticated sandwich. So we're upping the wow factor and present to you this *fully loaded* grilled cheese sandwich. We added avocado (for obvious reasons) as well as a few different kinds of cheese to make the flavor more complex. Don't worry, it's nearly as easy to make as your childhood fav.
Share a photo of your own loaded grilled cheese on Instagram and tag us @greatist!
Loaded Grilled Cheese
2 slices of bread of your choice (we opted for whole-wheat)
2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
3 slices of mozzarella cheese
3 slices of truffle cheddar cheese (or another strong cheese of your choice)
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
Half an avocado, thinly sliced
1. Heat a medium-size pan over medium heat until warm.
2. Lightly spread mayo on both sides of the bread, then put both slices of bread into the pan and heat 2-3 minutes.
3. Put two slices of mozzarella on one slice of bread (this slice will be the bottom of the sandwich).
4. Layer the truffle cheddar on top of the mozzarella, then add a layer of tomato and a layer of avocado.
5. Gently lift the empty slice of bread on top of the loaded slice—press firmly but not so much so that all of the toppings squish out.
6. Let the sandwich melt together for 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt. Continue pressing down gently on the bread with a spatula.
7. Carefully flip the sandwich and let sit another three minutes or until bread starts to brown and cheese begins to bubble. Continue pressing down on the bread with the spatula.
8. Remove from pan and slice. (Don't forget to take a #foodporn shot of that cheese pull!)