Not making it to Hawaii anytime soon? Us either. But we’re bringing the luau vibe to your own backyard with these easy, Hawaiian-inspired skewers. Layered with pineapple, pepper, onion, zucchini, and beef that’s been marinating in a tropical paradise of flavors, these kebabs are a healthy option for you and your guests.
Hawaiian Beef Kebabs
Recipe by: Jamie Webber
Makes: 8 skewers
Ready in: 35 minutes (add 2 hours if marinating longer)
2 large oranges, juice only
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 pound sirloin steak, cubed
1/2 fresh pineapple, cubed
2 red bell peppers, sliced into 1-inch squares
1/2 red onion, sliced into 1-inch squares
2 zucchini, sliced into 1-inch circles of half moons
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak skewers in a bowl of water while preparing ingredients.
3. Add all marinade ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Let cool.
4. Prepare all skewer ingredients as suggested then season with salt and pepper.
5. Add steak, pineapple, and vegetables to a plastic bag. Pour in the marinade and coat all ingredients evenly. Marinate for at least 2 hours, flipping once. If you have no time, just start cooking. The flavor will still soak in.
6. Load the skewers by alternating ingredients. First add red pepper, followed by onion, then steak, zucchini, and pineapple; repeat.
7. Put the skewers on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to rotate every 5 minutes for even cooking.
8. Serve on a platter or over a grain like quinoa.