Joe Wolf, head pickler at Wise Sons Jewish Delicatessen in San Francisco’s Mission District, shows a fast and easy way to make pickles out of any of your favorite vegetables.
Watch Joe demonstrate his pickling technique in this CHOW Tip video.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Thinly sliced vegetables of your choice
- 2 1/2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh dill
- Place your sliced vegetables in a heatproof container or containers.
- Combine all of the remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the sliced vegetables and refrigerate for 15 minutes, or up to 1 day for a more infused flavor.