Grazie, Italians, for this colorful torte that can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner.
Refrigerated crescent rolls make accomplishing a flaky crust a snap. Toss in the vegetables, meats, and cheeses and you’ve got yourself a well-rounded meal in one elegant torte.
- Yield: 12 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr, 50 mins
- Active: 50 mins
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 7 large Eggland’s Best eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound deli ham, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound hard salami, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 2 jars (12 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained, sliced, and patted dry
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double-thick, heavy-duty foil, about 18 square inches. Securely wrap the foil around the pan.
- Unroll one tube of crescent dough and separate it into triangles. Press it onto bottom of the prepared pan to form a crust, sealing the seams well. Bake 10-15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are tender.
- Drain on several layers of paper towels, blotting well.
- In a large bowl, whisk six eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Layer the crust with half of the ham, salami, provolone cheese, red peppers, and spinach mixture.
- Pour half of the egg mixture over the top. Repeat the layers; top with the remaining egg mixture.
- On a work surface, unroll and separate the remaining crescent dough into triangles.
- Press together to form a circle and seal the seams; place over the filling.
- Whisk the remaining egg; brush it over the dough.
- Bake uncovered 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°F, covering loosely with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning.
- Carefully loosen the sides from the pan with a knife; remove the rim from the pan. Let it stand 20 minutes.