Some might call these "skinny margaritas," but we call them happy ones. We've drank enough to know that they don't make us "skinny," but man, do they make us smile. With fresh squeezed orange juice, a few dashes of lime juice and tequila, and agave to sweeten things up, this healthy(ish) margarita recipe is so refreshing that sometimes we forget we're not just drinking water.
Don't be afraid to mix it up by muddling sliced jalapeños or strawberries (really, any kind of fruit will do) into your glass. Those small additions change it up enough so you can drink margaritas all
year summer long.
The Best Healthyish Margarita Recipe
2 ounces tequila
1 ounce lime juice
2 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons agave
Orange slice or lime wedge, for garnish
Sea salt, for the rim
1. In a small bowl, squeeze half an orange (ideally, you'd use the other half for the actual margarita).
2. Dip the rim of your glass into the juice until it's fully coated.
3. On a small plate, sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt, then coat the rim of the glass with as much salt as you prefer.
4. Add tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave, and ice into a shaker and mix until combined.
5. Pour into the glass then add in ice until it's full.
6. Garnish with an orange slice (or lime wedge).
When you don't feel like measuring it out, it goes something like this...
- 1 1/2 shots of tequila (a.k.a. a generous splash)
- Squeeze half of a lime
- Squeeze half of a large orange
- Add a squirt of agave
- Mix it all together in a cup
- Add ice
Note: If you'd like, add a splash or two of club soda for a bubblier cocktail.
Make It Spicy
Rim: Sea Salt + Chili Powder
In the marg: Muddle 5 slices of jalapeño before adding the liquid to the glass.
Make It Sweet
Rim: Coconut Sugar
In the marg: Muddle 3 sliced strawberries before adding the liquid to the glass.