This lunchtime classic is often lackluster and flavorless, so we’ve given it an overhaul here. First, we started out with high-quality ingredients like premium canned tuna; then we added fennel and lemon zest for a nice riff.
What to buy: Premium tuna packed in olive oil is paramount. We like Ortiz Bonito del Norte.
Game plan: You’ll need to make the mayonnaise before you begin.
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: About 35 mins
- Active: About 35 mins
- 12 ounces high-quality imported tuna packed in oil, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (see Game Plan note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fennel stems (no fronds, just green stems)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced (about 3/4 teaspoon)
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.