Grandma, we love you, but we’re sick of the goopy, gross canned mushrooms you use to make the green bean casserole every single Thanksgiving. Why don’t you sit back and relax and let us cook for you this year?
We’re not sure if we want to make the classic to show you how simple it is to make the casserole sans canned food, or maybe go gluten-free since we know we’ll have bloated bellies if we don’t. What the hell, we might even vegan so we eat a little more plant-based at this year’s dinner. No matter what we choose, we know these homemade casseroles are going to be devoured (by Grandma too).
Classic Green Bean Casserole
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- (Note: Instead of preparing topping, you can also buy pre-made crispy onions!)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, ends trimmed, cut into halves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the crispy onions, preheat the oven to 395 degrees. On a large baking sheet, toss well to combine the onions, flour, panko, and salt. Evenly spread the onions, spray with oil, and bake until golden brown for about 25 minutes, occasionally tossing around.
- While the onions are baking, blanch the beans for 5 minutes in salty boiling water, rinse under icy cold water and drain.
- In a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Sprinkle with flour, garlic, and spices and mix well to coat, then add chicken broth and half & half, decrease heat to low and simmer until thickened for about 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in beans, top with onions, and bake for 20 minutes at 395 degrees.
Gluten-Free Green Bean Casserole
- Use gluten-free flour and gluten-free bread crumbs blended with a combination of Rice Chex cereal and almond meal or cornmeal to coat the onions.
- Swap onion topping out altogether for 1/2 cup slivered almonds or dry roasted hazelnuts, skins removed.
Vegan Green Bean Casserole
- Swap butter for 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Use 2 cups coconut milk (or your choice of dairy-free milk) instead of half & half, and 2 cups vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
- Or replace the entire creamy base using blended chickpeas (1 1/2 cups cooked or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed) with 1 clove garlic and 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth.