Having some friends over for a casual dinner and they don’t want to keep it light and simple, then Fettuccines with Mustard Greens and Mushrooms will suit their palate well. It can be cooked in a matter of 20 minutes, giving you enough time to plate and serve beautifully
- Yields: 4
- Difficulty: Medium
- About 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups roughly chopped fresh mushrooms (shiitake, morel or others)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth boiled until reduced by half
- 3/4 pound dried fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- About 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add the mushrooms and do not move them until they begin to brown, about 1 minute. Then sauté until brown all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add another tablespoon olive oil if the pan is too dry. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook quickly until light brown. Add the thyme, fennel seeds and stock and bring to a boil. Add the greens, season with salt and pepper and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain, refresh quickly under cool running water and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Stir the butter into the greens and add the pasta and parsley. Toss to heat through and add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan. Toss well again and pour onto a heated serving platter. Dust with another 1 to 2 tablespoons Parmesan and pass the remaining cheese at the table.