This recipe is specific to cored & dried eggplants for stuffing. However, it can be substituted for fresh cored eggplants, zuccini or green squash.
- Yields: 4 servings
- Difficulty: Medium
- Total: 40 minutes
- Active: 30 minutes
- 1 lb rice, 1 lb ground beef (omit if vegetarian), 1 med size yellow onion, 1 clove of garlic, 2 med size tomatoes, 2 small green chili or jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, 1/2 bunch fresh mint or 1 table spoon dry mint, 1 tea spoon salt, 1 tea spoon black pepper
- 2 table spoons Turkish pepper paste & 1/2 cup of liquid vegetable or sunflower oil
- 10 to 15 cored & dried eggplants OR 10 med size fresh and cored zuccini /eggplant /squash.
- For dried eggplants: Boil a pot of salty water, place eggplants into the pot, cover and turn off the heat. Allow rehydration of eggplants for 30 minutes, during which time, stuffing should be prepared.
- For fresh eggplants, zuccini, squash: Wash the vegetables, cut off the tops and core out the center as much as possible. Place cored vegetables into a salty water to prevent discoloration until stuffing is prepared.
- STUFFING: Finely chop onion, tomato, parsley, mint, green peppers, garlic and mix well with rice and ground beef in a deep bowl. Add pepper paste, salt, black pepper and cooking oil into the bowl and mix well.
- Begin filling the eggplants. Do not overstuff as rice expands as it cooks.
- Place stuffed eggplants in upright position into a deep pot. If desired, eggplants can be capped with tomatoes or mushrooms. Fill up the pot with water until the tip of the eggplants. Cook first on high and then on medium heat for 35 to 40 minutes until rice in the stuffing is cooked.