Homemade oat milk is easier than you might think. It’s also much more affordable than store-bought oat milk, and totally free of any added preservatives. Plus, you can control the sweetness and other flavorings so they’re perfect for your personal taste.
This easy oat milk recipe only requires two ingredients, but you can add whatever else you want, from vanilla extract and sea salt to cinnamon or cocoa powder. Sweeten it with maple syrup, honey, agave, stevia, or nothing at all.
Special Equipment: You’ll need a blender for this recipe. A nut milk bag is helpful for straining, but if you don’t have one, you can strain your oat milk through cheesecloth, a large fine mesh strainer, or even the cut-off end of a clean nylon stocking.
Notes: The oat milk will keep for a week in the fridge. Separation is natural, so give it a shake before using (and store it in a large mason jar or other tightly lidded container). Be sure to use old fashioned rolled oats for the best texture.
- Difficulty: Easy
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 4 cups water, ice cold
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or other sweetener (optional, and adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- other flavorings as desired, such as: 1 teaspoon cinnamon or 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Place the oats and cold water in a blender. If your water isn’t super cold, add a few ice cubes; this helps prevent slimy oat milk.
- Add whatever other flavorings and sweetener you’re using, if any.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds (no longer or your oats may overheat and get slimy).
- Pour the mixture into a nut milk bag set over a large bowl and firmly squeeze to get the liquid out, but not too aggressively (as that can also result in slimy oat milk).
- If you see a lot of sediment, you can strain a second time, either through the nut milk bag again, or through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- Pour oat milk into a mason jar or other tightly lidded container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
- Separation is natural, so be sure to shake your oat milk before using!