These days, I am spending a lot of time with my kids. It’s proven to be my chance to create fun, pantry-friendly desserts that not only break up the day, but also keep us in good spirits. Lately, one of my favorite breakfasts for the kids (and fun-loving adults) is whipping up a batch of my easy homemade Pop-Tarts which can be ready within the hour.
Even during non-pandemic times, I always keep a frozen roll of pie dough in the freezer because it’s so versatile. Not just for pies, this dough is great for chicken pot pie, apple hand pies, and, of course, pop-tarts. In this case, I slice the dough into even rectangles and prep my fillings, which simply stem from what’s in my pantry.
My kids love chocolate hazelnut spread, so a few always end up filled with chocolate, but jams and jellies also work great here. The trick with fruit jams, though, is to just add in a bit of cornstarch to avoid it oozing out. A few will also get a cinnamon or brown sugar filling because those truly bring me back to childhood.
Once you’ve slathered the dough with your preferred spread, place another rectangle of dough on top and seal it with the tines of a fork for a decorative border—and a promise that none of the good stuff will leak out.
To make the fillings, simply mix jam with cornstarch and the brown sugar with a bit of flour and cinnamon. The chocolate hazelnut spread should be good to go as is.
- 2 rolled-out pie crusts, brought to room temperature, rolled out and shaped into a rectangle
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 cup of your favorite jam
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon AP flour
- ¼ cup flour (for rolling out dough)
- Optional toppings: ½ cup confectioners sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons of water to make glaze
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut dough into equal 5×4-inch squares.
- Cover half the dough with the various fillings.
- Cover with the other squares.
- Press down edges with the tines of a fork.
- Make an X with a sharp knife over each tart.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar glaze and sprinkles (optional).