Crisps are both the easiest and the most comforting fruit desserts, especially in fall and winter when it’s nice to cozy up to something warm and fragrant with cinnamon. In this variation on our Easy Apple Crisp with Oatmeal Streusel, we combine peeled apples and pears with a warming touch of cinnamon, then bake under a simple topping of oats, flour, butter, and brown sugar. Serve with cinnamon ice cream or crème fraîche whipped cream.
- Yield: 8 servings
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 hr 40 mins
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium Gala apple, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces, plus more for coating the dish
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Combine the apples, pears, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl and toss to coat the fruit. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Using the same bowl as for mixing the fruit, mix together the brown sugar, oats, flour, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt until evenly combined. With your fingertips, blend in the butter pieces until small clumps form and the butter is well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples and pears and bake until the streusel is crispy and the fruit is tender, about 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.