Recipe was given to me at a party (mid to late 70’s), modified it a little, and have passed it on to many people since. This has been our traditional family Christmas eve meal every year.
- Yields: Approx. 1 1/2 Qts
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: 1 to 1 1/2 hours (depending on Crockpot)
- 1 – 2 pound block of Velveeta cheese
- 3 – 6 oz cans of Crab meat (white meat only, not claw or leg meat)
- 3 – green onions
- White pepper
- A good sweet white wine (Riesling)
- 1 – 16 oz jar of Best Foods Mayo
- 1 – 2 Baguettes of French bread (pending size of party)
- Cut Velveeta cheese into medium sized chunks and put into a large Crockpot (about 1 1/2 Qt.), set to high.
- Clean and thinly slice green onions (all), add to cheese, also add a couple pinches of white pepper. Stir into cheese.
- Add the 16 oz of Mayo. Mix well into other ingredients. Stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Drain crab meat into a fine mesh strainer, rinse under cold water. Empty crab meat into a bowl, sift through meat with your fingers to feel for bits of shell. Dump crab meat into melted cheese and stir in thoroughly.
- Add up to 1/4 cup of wine to fondue, stir in well. Check consistency, thin with a little milk if needed. Turn heat to low.
- Slice and halve baguette for dipping.