Claret is another term for Bordeaux, but don’t use the good stuff here! Never use exceptional, vintage wines for cocktails, even if you are feeling extremely flush. Fine wines will suddenly forget who they are and diminish into the unrecognizable.
Use this rich simple syrup recipe.
- Yields: 1 drink
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total: Under 5 mins
- Active: Under 5 mins
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar or Rich Simple Syrup
- 2 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces dry red wine
- Cold water
- Slice of lemon and a maraschino cherry
- Add the sugar and lemon juice to a chilled highball glass, and muddle until the sugar dissolves.
- Add ice, the wine, and then cold water to fill. Garnish with a lemon slice and a maraschino cherry.